REGIONAL SCHOOL DISTRICT #19
BOARD OF EDUCATION
DIGITAL LEARNING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES
FOR MAY 29, 2012
E. O. SMITH HIGH SCHOOL
1235 STORRS ROAD
STORRS, CT 06268
Present: Denise Abercrombie, Lou DeLoreto, Bill Green, Frank Krasicki, Tim Nolan,
Nancy Silander, Bruce Silva, Alan Trotochaud
Absent: Sue Biren, Sue Palmberg, Jojo Phillips
- BYOD – we should be fully wi-fied by the middle of summer.
Concern of IT is how much students will continue to use school’s technological resources and on which different platforms. Students need to have clear understanding of expectations for products they produce. We will need to decide on minimum requirements for acceptable devices. Discussion centered on various potential difficulties due to different operating systems, battery problems (need power strips in each classroom), etc. While we can anticipate some problems, we will need to remain flexible.
We will need to have a parent forum and student forum in the Fall to discuss issues, problems and pitfalls. We would like to begin with a student meeting for late August.
We need to realize this will be a long 3-5 year process.
- Policy – what rights does staff have on personal spaces? Current board policy addresses harassment, etc. so that we probably do not need to regulate it further. Policy for students will be changed if needed to reflect the BYOD changes. Need to check to see if Internet use and agreement that students currently sign to see if it is still needed. Lou will take care of this with Jan and Jamie.
- On-line science course: Bill Green and Jon Swanson are piloting a course on-line this summer: 6 weeks, 24 motivated students who will get ½ independent study credit. Using Moodle platform; different open source software e.g. Google Earth. Alternative assessments e.g. narrative tour on Google Earth.
- Still continue to need to maintain computer labs for accessibility. We would like to know what sorts of software teachers need and use, including open-source. Through PLC’s they can do more faculty sharing. We need to make sure faculty knows that there is support from the board.
- Next meeting will be in early September.
Submitted by Nancy Silander
June 6, 2012